Saturday, May 1, 2010

Technology: Flywheel




Today, I was sent a video of the Hybrid Porsche 911 GT3 R. I had not previously thought about using a flywheel as a power storage system in a vehicle. However, I have thought about supercapacitors (Electric double-layer capacitors) and batteries. I have even contemplated the idea of combining these two storage systems much like how many animals have two types of muscle. One for quick acceleration (super capacitors) and one for long distance travel (batteries. This would result in more efficient regeneration (braking) and discharge (acceleration) while also allowing the battery to last longer by not cycling it as much from regeneration. However, I am still waiting for supercapacitors to become more available and proven. Flywheels may take supercapacitors place. I plan to follow this technology closely to see how it develops. Currently, flywheels are similar to most electric vehicle technology in that they are too expensive for wide spread use.

No comments:

Post a Comment